The Third Wave - Covid-19 Variant Delta
We invoke the mercy and assistance of Almighty Allah as the third wave continues to surge especially in the Gauteng Province. The Delta variant, first identified in India is now becoming the dominant variant of the disease worldwide including South Africa. Studies suggest that delta is around 64 % more transmissible than the previous variants which perhaps explains the exponential spike in Gauteng.
The steep spike in infections has huge implications for our health system, which is already severely strained and struggling to cope. Hospital beds, including high care and ICU in both private and public hospitals are filled to capacity. There is neither space nor sufficient oxygen points at emergency departments.
It is our responsibility take measures that will help in mitigating the risks of Covid-19 infections. We appeal to our communities to:
- Engage in excessive repentance, dua and charity
- Limit all unnecessary contact and public interaction
- Avoid closed spaces especially where there is no sufficient ventilation.
- Abstain from non-essential social functions.
- Adopt all the recommended preventative measures outlined by the IMA and medical experts
May Allah protect us, cure the ill, forgive the deceased and eliminate the pandemic
Yusuf Patel (Ml)
27 June 2021